Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Night Rider

In the heat of Summer in NorCal, I often opt for an night time ride.  Throw a few headlights on and a couple flashing tail lights and usually do at least 15 miles.  We are fortunate in Davis to have a pretty extensive bike path network and access to very straight and typically very quiet rural roads.

Is it dangerous?

  • I suppose somewhat as visibility of the road is limited by your lighting system.
  • My taillights are *BRIGHT* and they are pretty hard to ignore.
  • At 10 o'clock at night, I typically see less than a car a mile on the back roads, and often quite a few less.
  • You can see AND hear cars from quite a distance in this rural setting
  • As I mentioned above, the bike path network is incredibly extensive for such a small town.  We have a population of about 60,000 and yet you can easily get about a 20 miles ride on bike paths alone (Davis is considered the bicycle capitol of the country).
  • Often cooler and a bit less wind on most nights.
Really nice to just see the stars, hear the birds and other animals, and just enjoy the overall quiet.  The whole experience is just... nice.





No comments: