Wednesday, July 09, 2008

E-Stim

Electronic Stimulation (E-stim) is just the newest journey in the recovery from the ugly blot that was removed from the base of my brain. As I have blogged before, I have a bit of facial paralysis. I don't have any facial droop but it seems on the right side that my face is locked in neutral.

I recently started a new therapy to potentially have some effect. Daily I hook up some electrodes to a couple of locations on my face for 30 minutes a day. The effect is somewhat similar to putting my tongue on a 9-volt battery but for a half an hour.

DSCF0351

It seems to be making a bit of difference even after a few days of treatments. From what I can understand, the electrical signal that is produced makes the muscle contract. I attempt to send signals to that portion of my face to stimulate the nerves from my end. Since the muscle is contracted I apparently send feedback to my brain and my nerves/brain 'learn" this is what I'm trying to do... I have no idea how it works but if it makes a difference.....

Maybe I should hook this up to my belly and get a 6-pack as a bonus.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is what I was talking about! Biofeedback. I want that and they won't cover it. I had old fashioned dumb exercises. This should work.

Unknown said...

I'd settle for a 2 pack! Buddha bellies rule!!

Carl said...

if you're a Buddha!

Anonymous said...

sensory and motor nerves....but you know that by now.